Thursday, June 27, 2019

New Life

Moving to a new city can be stressful as well as confusing. And obviously moving to a whole new  country is like moving worlds. I felt like leaving my cocoon-that comprised of  familiar faces and comfortable routine. From this to a completely unknown landscape, new culture and different climate was quite a big challenge for. But since I also wanted to explore, I mentally prepared myself to move ahead.

After the sorting out our basic paperwork, I started reading about Qatar and its culture. I had to search for several, for example-
Which schools will be good for my daughters?
Which areas are best to live with a family?
Where are the main supermarkets?
Are there good parks for families?
Will I still be able to work?
Will I find new friends?
I trawled the internet looking for all the possible information I could. Every crumb of insight was essential to show me what real life would be while living in Doha.


Initial Days
So we shifted here 6 months ago! I had a lot on my plate. And first three months were quite hectic as I had a lot on my plate. Though we took a fully furnished flat setting up the kitchen, settling the kids in and other random stuff engulfed a lot of time and effort. We applied for our kids admission in the   Indian schools. The presence of such schools and Indian neighbors kind of made me comfortable and I started feeling home like. but nonetheless, there are days when I miss my family and friends back in Delhi.


Culture in Qatar
Living in Qatar is quite an ethnic experience. I got to explore the ways of a new country that is in many ways  different from India. But there are common denominators, like life in Qatar is a mix of peaks-lows and ups and downs. Thankfully I am staying in heart of of Doha, I have no concerns of accessibility and convinience.

Here are some points that you must be mentally prepared for in order to shift here-

Expense
For a long time I kept calculating everything in terms of Indian currency and thought "how expensive this place is". But gradually I realized that I have to buy things here calculating the currency of this country only. I am still in process of learning this and still find this country quite expensive.  I think, the cost of living in Qatar in general is quite high. As Qatar imports most of its food, the basic items are expensive. Staples like rice, bread, certain meats and fish are moderately priced, but altogether food is expensive in Qatar.  Household goods are also comparatively expensive here.

Accommodation
House-hunting can be frustrating because most popular locations have high rent while others, despite having similar facilities, often lack good neighborhood and surroundings. There are no regulations in terms of rent and facilities but the most difficult thing here is finding a good accommodation that suits your preference type. Either you find the state of accommodation in Qatar wonderful or not, the rent is quite high, choices can be limited and many places look the same.

Less People
I see a stark difference in the population of Qatar and India. Here one can witness families and little crowd of people only on weekends. We Indians are usually surrounded by people everywhere, so we hardly feel isolated, but here its not the same. Here, I am still looking for friends and  relatives so that we can have a social network as in India we had many friends and relatives to mingle with. Although 25% of population living in Qatar are Indians, I am still lagging behind in befriending some.

Hangouts
The best part of this country is the sea and its beaches. Most people praise the mall or mention the deserts as integral part of Qatar but my personal favorite places are- Corniche and Katara. I have spent my life as a North Indian, without any sea view, hence I am quite fond of it. The beauty and calmness of sea is something I really love. Because of the extreme hot climate these days I am unable to visit these places frequently. I will write a separate blog on both Katara and Corniche, later on.





Events andActivities
Numerous events keep happening around the year. I am just 6 months old here but I have been fortunate enough to attend some really amazing musical concerts, Kite Festival and Spring Festival. Most of these events and festivals are lively and worth the visit. I am lucky that I have shifted here in Qatar-India Year of Culture, and hence able to enjoy many events and programs.

Malls and Supermarkets
Available in abundance and build in almost every corner of the city. They are lively and attarct good crowd, specially during weekends. 

Safety and Cleanliness
The best part of Qatar is that it is safe. I am not saying this just for the sake of it but I have actually experienced it. I have traveled alone many times late in night and never felt insecure or concerned. Taxis are available all around and are easily accessible. Being a mother I feel really safe going anywhere with my kids. Most of the parks here have families chilling till late in the night hence I can easily take my kids out during late evenings. And I find this extremely appreciable that citizens maintain cleanliness everywhere. 

Hence, like any other country this place also has its cons and pros. In fact, it has more pros than cons making it a wonderful place to stay with family. I just completed my 6 months in this country hence I thought of sharing my experience through this blog. To sum up I can definitely say that so far my journey in this country has been quite wonderful and I am hoping for everything positive and good in the future as well.

7 comments:

  1. Great write up keep writing, very well expressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written, can completely relate to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice keep it up.Best of luck for future

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent insights,really painted a pen picture of your experience.Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written!!
    Maryam, This will definitely help others as you have covered every challenges and thoughts that people might have in their mind before moving in a new place.
    -Satvinder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hampta Pass Trek
    The Hampta Pass is always a friendly hike to the Himachal. The walk crosses a small, flowering wood with steep vertical and rocky slopes.

    ReplyDelete